Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Headboard Makeover

Well, for those that don't know, after all that hard work on the twin bed for my daughter's tween zebra room we decided it was time to upgrade her to a larger bed. Next thing I know we bought her a queen size bed on sale around Labor Day. I learned afterwards from a friend - "uh yeah that's when all mattress stores have their biggest sale." Well I guess I'm a bit sheltered lol. If you're reading this, you know who you are and thanks for the tips about the linen sale in January haha. (I need to get out more)

So, new queen size mattress and no bed. Great. I bought the universal frame - easy enough - and remembered I have a queen size headboard that I had been trying to sell and could not give it away. Why? Because it's ugly and probably from 1985. This headboard came with my husband. I've always hated this headboard because it's so outdated. Guess there's a reason it never left my house lol.

This was a simple enough makeover. I had already chosen the black paint for the furniture pieces in her room (see her Tween Zebra Room colors here). I went with Valspar Satin Signature paint in shade New Black.




I added Floetrol to the paint (as directed on bottle) to reduce visible brush strokes. See these seriously awesome paint tips from Classy Clutter. 



I lightly sanded the headboard so the paint would adhere well and applied two coats of paint. I protected the new finish with a coat of polyacrylic.

Once I have all her zebra bedding I will update this post with a photo and her room reveal!


I think this really came out well and she absolutely loves her new headboard! The shelves are already lined with Beanie Boos and books!


4 comments :

  1. Looks great kiddo..Really like this creative side...Craft on O daughter of mine..Craft on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks Dad! More to come soon. I am almost done with an end table.

    ReplyDelete